The Douglas Jackman collection
of 19th century trading bills

In the middle of the 20th Century Douglas Jackman of Dorchester put together a collection of trading bills.

There are 318 in total, ranging in date from 1825 to 1906, representing 130 individual tradespeople, mainly from Dorchester. 40 per cent. just consist of the actual heading but the remainder are complete accounts, covering varied items such as alcohol, building, ironmongery, silverware, transport (horse), etc.

What follows is a very brief simplified sample from the collection. The trading dates refer to the directories in which they appear.

The Museum Library contains (personal inspection only) a full detailed catalogue of every bill, a directory list giving an indication of where and how long the business traded and some customer details. For the Dorchester items there is also a detailed list of their address, who is there now (2008) and details of any old photographs. A covering essay, various notes and an index of all names mentioned completes the catalogue.

Click on any picture to enlarge

The Antelope Hotel

The Antelope Hotel, 14 Cornhill, Dorchester. Bills from 1830 to 1872. Notable customers: The Magistrates.

This was one of the main coaching inns and appears both as a supplier and customer. The County Magistrates met every 4 months (Quarter Sessions) and held a dinner, alternating with the Kings Arms. They imported claret (see later) which formed part of this. Two men named Ffookes were in charge of the legal proceedings (more later). The bills are all incomplete but some details are on the reverse. The Hotel closed in the 1990s and is now offices and a shopping arcade.

(small image: Stent, Antelope Hotel) (small image: Yearsley, Antelope Hotel) (small image: Sly, Antelope Hotel)

(small image: Bastable, Shaftesbury)

Charles Bastable

Charles Bastable, High Street, Shaftesbury. Trading from 1840 to 1880. Customer: Mr Hammond of Sturminster. Date: 1856

Unfortunately an incomplete bill. Besides paper products and agent for the Bible Society he was also an insurance agent as were many of the other traders. Mr Hammond was the Police Superintendent at Sturminster Newton from 1851 to 1867 and then possibly moved to Wimborne as deputy chief constable.

(small image: Bennett, T. H., Shaftesbury)

Thomas Hodges Bennett, Blandford

Thomas Hodges Bennett, Salisbury St, Blandford. Trading 1823 to 1859, then Bennett and Bird. Customer: Mr Seward. Date: 1835

Unfortunately although Mr Seward appears on a number of bills we have not been able to find out who he was.

(small image: Bennett, Thomas, Dorchester)

Thomas Bennett, Dorchester

Thomas Bennett, 19 High East St, Dorchester. Trading 1840 to 1875. Customer: Antelope Hotel. Date: 1865

The directories gave conflicting information about this trader. His address varies from High East Street to West Street and back again! The early directories are sometimes rather vague and inaccurate. Assuming they all refer to the same person he was probably situated on the corner opposite All Saints Church (now a dress shop, although the road has been widened here).

(small image: Budden and Burdon, Wimborne)

David Budden and W. W. Burdon

David Budden, High St, Wimborne. Trading 1840 to 1853. Customer: Mr Seward. Date: 1839

He seems to have moved about three times in this period.

Burdon, The Quay, Weymouth. Trading 1830 to 1835. Customer: Mr White of Cerne. Date: 1831

He was a ship owner besides a coal merchant and sometimes acted through agents. His christian name varies widely. The price of coal varied from 7d to 9d per lb and did not seem to decrease with the advent of rail.

The 1830 directory has Mr John W. White, gentleman, Up Cerne House.

(small image: Clare and Galpin)

Clare and Galpin

Clare and Galpin, High East St, Dorchester. Ceased trading by 1840. Customer: County Hall (Mr Evans). Date: 1834/5.

This was for minor ironmongery items with the receipt as long as the bill! (7s 6d). Another, but incomplete, bill was for the County Gaol. Mr W. Evans was the County Surveyor in 1840 and his son (?) G. Evans, was the same 1842 - 1871. Both lived in Wimborne. We have not been able to trace the Dorchester premises.

(small image: Fisher, Blandford)

M. and H. F. Fisher

Malachi and Henry Field Fisher, Market Place, Blandford. Trading 1830 to 1871. Customer: Curtis and Sons. Date: 1834.

The customer was probably Thomas Javell Curtis trading in Dorchester, first in North Street then High West Street and then settling in Fordington 1842 on. They were hosiers, drapers and tailors.

(small image: Frampton, Wimborne)

Charles Frampton

Charles Frampton, The Square, Wimborne. Trading 1842 to 1859. Customer: Mr Seward. Date: 1840.

(small image: Genge and Co.)

Genge and Company

Genge and Co., High West St, Dorchester. Customer: Dorset County Council

This started off as Steele (1842-1880), then George Dixon and Jameson (1889-1899) before becoming just Genge and expanding from the original corner site. The whole block was rebuilt as a department store in the 1930s, then became part of Dingles and now forms the block with Argos, Ladbrokes, etc.

(small image: Goddard, Lyme Regis)

Theo. B. Goddard, Lyme Regis

Theophilus Bartlett Goddard, Market Place/Broad St, Lyme Regis. Trading 1842 to 1853. Customer: Mr Tucker. Date: 1840.

The customer was probably the W. Tucker, butcher and beer retailer (1830-1855) who was either in the Butter Market or Church Street, Lyme.

Godwin, Dorchester

E. Godwin, and later J. T. Godwin, Dorchester. Trading 1846 to 1907. Customers: Antelope Hotel, 1866, and County of Dorset House, 1891.

These are two of the nine bills for this China and Glass Warehouse. E. was Mrs Eliza, followed by John Thomas. First reference is 1846 and then to the end of this research (1907). The premises are now the café 'The Horse with the Red Umbrella'. But prior to the Godwins it belonged to the ironmongers Curme (4 bills), one of whom built the first theatre in the town behind the shop. Godwin's also owned all the premises in Trinity Street now rebuilt as Georgian House. A later heading shows a photo of the inside of the shop. Note the use of the word House to describe what we now call Shire Hall, which was then where the County Council was based, with the main officials living in various towns.

(small image: Godwin, E. Dorchester) (small image: Godwin, J. T., Dorchester)

(small image: B. Harvey, Dorchester)

B. Harvey, Dorchester

B. Harvey, Cornhill, Dorchester. Trading 1823/4 to 1830s. Customer: Forston Asylum. Date: 1830.

His widow Mary took over and traded 1840-55. This and an earlier ironmongery bill are incomplete but interesting because of the reference to the Forston Asylum. There are a small number of other bills mentioning this place which was being built at the time (later Herrison Hospital and now the site of the 'village' of Charlton Down). Where their shop was is not known, possibly No. 6 where a Mary Harvey was living 1848.

(small image: J. F. Hodges, Dorchester)

J. F. Hodges, Dorchester

John Francis Hodges, 22 High East St, Dorchester. Trading 1830 to 1907. Customer: The Magistrates. Date: 1873.

The names slightly varied during this period. All their bills are incomplete, but they supplied wine for the Magistrates' dinners (see Antelope/King's Arms). This is now offices and the Housing Advice Centre. Henry Ling (next door up) along with the King's Arms are the only premises still trading from the collection.

(small image: Howell, David, Bridport)

David Howell, Bridport

David Howell, East St, Bridport. Trading 1840 to 1855. Customer not stated.

He also manufactured twine. Customer not known but on the reverse is a list of names and how much they bought. Our impression was that it was a year's bill (but only for 17s 6d!)

(small image: Jennings and Ford, London)

Jennings and Ford, London

Jennings and Ford, Cheapside, London. Customer: Ffookes, for Magistrates. Date: 1843, 1846.

These accounts are for bringing claret from London for the Magistrate's dinner. There were two men of this name (Ffookes). They were Sherborne Solicitors. One was Clerk of the Peace (1830-72), the other Clerk to the Lieutenant of the County and then Clerk of the Peace (1872-89). The next Clerk was another of the same name (E. A.), 1889-1925. Their names may also be seen on the bridge plaques threatening transportation if damaged.

(small image: The King's Arms)

The King's Arms

The King's Arms, High East St, Dorchester. Date: 1828 to 1878.

This was the other main coaching inn of the town. Here again the bills are incomplete, but mainly involve the Magistrate's dinner. However, one of the Ffookes family also used to stay here during the Quarter Sessions, and possibly brought his wife also. One of these headings was printed in London and surprisingly nearly 20 per cent. of the traders had their headings printed out of the county.

(small image: Thomas Pouncy)

Thomas Pouncy

Thomas Pouncy, Cornhill, Dorchester. Trading 1874/5 to 1907. Customer: Dorset Constabulary. Date: 1889-92.

There were 2 men of this name as Saddlers: Charles at No. 3 (1 bill) trading 1846-67 then Thomas Crook at No. 5 (just changed to the clothes shop). Thomas was also Collector of Taxes and connected with the police. He supplied a range of equine sundries.

(small image: Rundell, Bridge and Rundell)

Rundell, Bridge and Rundell

Rundell, Bridge and Rundell, Ludgate Hill, London. Customer: Mr Galpine. Date: 1827.

This bill was not collected by Mr Jackman but was donated whilst the research was being carried out. They were an extremely important firm of gold and silversmiths, and jewellers, supplying a great deal to George IV etc. This was the highest bill (£92 17s 0d less a discount). Most expensive item was for a 'part fluted Tea Pot silver handle' plus a little extra for engraving. Mr Bridge of the title came from Dorset and retired to Piddletrenthide in the 1840s, dying there in 1849. Mr Galpine was an attorney in Blandford and appears in the 1823 and 1830 Directories.

(small image: Samuel Russell)

Samuel Russell

Samuel Russell, North Square, Dorchester. Trading 1840 to 1848. Customer: Mr Staples. Date: 1839.

The left-hand portion of his premises are now the offices of Dorchester Town Council, and right hand side the Victory Court flats. Mr Staples was the owner of the Anchor Inn. This was in Pease Lane (now Colliton Street) roughly at No. 6 (John White's house) or next door.

(small image: White Horse, Maiden Newton)

The White Horse, Maiden Newton

The White Horse, Maiden Newton. Trading 1885 to 1903. Customer: Miss Wylde; Dorset County Council. Date: 1895.

This refers to 'posting' Miss Wylde to Cattistock. She was an employee of Dorset County Council (and Principal of the County Technical School for Women & Girls). Presumable she arrived at Maiden Newton by train and then had to be taken to Cattistock by horse transport.

(small image: W. Woolston)

W. Woolston, Dorchester

W. Woolston, 16 Cornhill, Dorchester. Trading 1859 to 1874 (widow in 1875). Customer: Antelope Hotel. Date: 1866.

This is by far the most decorative bill heading. He was situated 2 doors down from the hotel; Mr Gardener was the then manager (another bill shows he received £25 per quarter salary, or £1 17s 7d per week compared to 7s 6d for an agricultural labourer). The bill contains 46 miscellaneous food items and comes to £1 19s 1d after 9s had been taken off to pay for a phaeton to Osmington. The premises now form part of the camping shop.


We have used trade directories dating from 1792, but mainly 1823-1907, and one street directory for 1898, thirty in all, either in the Dorset History Centre or the DNHAS library.

There are only 5 copies of this research; one at the Dorset History Centre, two in the DNHAS library, the others held by the researchers. Included are a compact disc of all the images, other photographs, 11pp introduction, 43pp catalogue, 22pp directory catalogue and notes, 4pp on customers, 9pp "Dorchester Then and Now", 9pp index to names, 6pp appendices.

Research by P. D. Anthes and L. Mutti, 2008.

Web presentation by J. Palmer
Valid XHTML 1.0!