Dorset County Museum archaeology gallery, 2015 onwards,
named 'Ancient Dorset'
This page describes the gallery as replanned in 2015.
As the page is not yet finished,
it may contain omissions and inconsistencies.
For the old layout, which is no more,
follow this link.
- 1 Lower Palaeolithic, 2 Upper Palaeolithic, 3 Mesolithic
- a relief map
- 4 5 6 7 8 Neolithic
- 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Bronze Age
- b Maiden Castle model and video
- 18 19 Maiden Castle
- 20 Gussage All Saints
- 21 22 Iron Age (IA) metalwork
- c Maiden Castle 'war cemetery' burials
- 23 Whitcombe Warrior burial
- 24 Iron Age mirror etc.
- 25 Iron Age anchor etc.
- 26 Romano-British (RB): includes
- d Tableau of Roman house interior: two stone columns,
probably from Dorchester Roman Town House (Colliton Park);
- 27 RB metalwork
- 28 RB, including Norden finds:
sawn and polished Purbeck Marble,
mortars of Purbeck Marble
(not Burr-stone as the label may seem to imply)
(not this one)
- 29 RB, including
large mortar from Dewlish
loomweights from Bucknowle
- 30 RB, not stone
- 31 RB, including
marble figurine base
- 32 RB, including
sandstone roof finial,
section of mosaic from Dewlish,
and Southwell mortar
- 33 RB, including
stone pillar from Dorchester Roman Town House (Colliton Park);
9 stone roof-slabs
from the same Town House;
of a sea-god from Hemsworth;
mortar in 3 pieces, still to be documented
- 34 Saxon period
- 35 Viking period (tableau of Ridgeway mass grave)
- 36 Late Saxon/Norman